Lodge History - Medina Lodge 35



History of Medina Lodge 35

 Family Tree from Freemasonry Family Tree



This article has been developed using research by various Brethren when preparing various talks about the Lodge.  These include extracts put together by W. Bro Tony Dixon and W. Bro. Ian Carnegie to mark the 225th anniversary of Medina Lodge, which used parts taken from W. Bro. John Goodson’s Bi-centenary History, part from notes of W. Bro. Murray Dixon’s updated history given in 1997, part from additional research of books in our library, and other research.  Also included is a small record of the start of Grand Lodge, the rival to Grand Lodge and the ultimate union of the two.

The Medina Lodge (spelt Medena until 1913) takes great pride in its antiquity and treasures a minute book recording Lodge meetings held between 1732 and 1756.  Lane’s Masonic records show that in 1759 the Lodge was quartered at the Queen Hythe Coffee House in London and in the Phoenix Lodge history shows that the same lodge met in the King’s Head tavern in Portsmouth, when Grand Lodge received from it one guinea in that same year.

Medena Lodge is believed to date back to 1732 when it was lodge No. 111 which first met at Bro. Philip Huddy’s Theatre Tavern in Goodman’s field, London.  This lodge would have come under the jurisdiction of the premier Grand Lodge of the England which was formed in 1717 by what has become known as the Four Old Lodges although it is now thought that there were five or even six Lodges involved.  The first Grand Master was Mr. Antony Sayer, a Gentleman.  The first list of Lodges ever printed in 1723 shows the Grand Master as Philip, Duke of Wharton, indicating that even from that early date the Nobility were involved.

The rival to The Grand Lodge of England was constituted in 1751 and has long been known as the “Ancients” or “Atholl Masons”, the latter designation being due to the 3rd and 4th Dukes of Atholl having been Grand Masters.  This separate Grand Lodge it is thought was formed due to certain variations made in the customs and landmarks of the Craft, particularly objected to by the Operative section of the older Grand Lodge.  The “Ancients” gave the nickname of the “Moderns” to the older Grand Lodge to show that they were trying to keep to the ancient Craft customs rather than to change some of them.  The new body became very popular and many new Lodges were formed under their jurisdiction.  Several attempts were made by the “Moderns”, the older Grand Lodge to form a union of the two Grand Lodges, but they failed miserably and it was only in December of 1813 that they finally combined when it was impossible for the rift to carry on due to the fact that HRH The Duke of Kent and HRH The Duke of Sussex were their respective Grand Masters and royalty could not be seen as being split.  At the Union of the Grand Lodges there were 1,025 “Modern” Lodges and 524 “Atholl” Lodges.  Medena Lodge was then re-numbered as No.48.  In 1832 it was again re-numbered as No.41 and finally became No.35 in 1863.

After first meeting at Bro. Huddy’s Theatre Tavern the Lodge met in various inn’s and taverns in London and finally met in the City of Norwich Tavern before removing to Queen Hythe Coffee House adjacent to the Queen Hythe Docks in 1756, when the Lodge no. was 57.  The reason given by Grand Lodge for refusing to issue a centenary warrant in 1832 was a lack of proof of continual working for 100 years. Grand Lodge pointing out that possession of the Theatre Tavern Lodge minute book from 1732 on was not proof of ancestry and that for two years from 1759 to 1761 there was no evidence of the Lodge or where it met, the last dues from Queen Hythe being in 1759 and the first dues being paid from Cowes in 1761.

Subsequently it was discovered that for those intervening two years the Theatre Tavern Lodge was meeting regularly at the Kings Head Tavern at Portsmouth.  This information is in the Centenary History of Phoenix Lodge.  The Three Tunns Lodge was also meeting at the Kings Head Tavern.  James Day, Master of Medena Lodge from 1767 to 1772 was initiated into the Theatre Tavern Lodge during this period.  Thomas Dunckerley, a very important mason particularly relevant to Medena Lodge as recorded later on and James Davis were initiated into the Three Tunns Lodge.

As no further mention of the Theatre Tavern Lodge can be found after 1759, but a West Cowes Lodge No.57 paid dues of one pound to Grand lodge in 1761 and as the Master was James Day and the Secretary was James Davis it would appear more than probable this was how the 1732 Lodge which met at Bro. Huddy’s Theatre Tavern was transferred to Cowes in 1761 and met at the Vine Tavern until 1768.  It is recorded that James Day, a law unto himself occupied the chair for those eighteen years.  The Medena Lodge, now number 39, was omitted from the Grand Lodge Lists from 1773 to 1778.  It is stated as one of the Lodges that rebelled against Grand Lodge during that period.  If so it was its allegiance to Grand Lodge and not its continuous existence which was broken.  Alternatively, we read that its name was erased “for not having contributed anything to the (Grand Lodge) Fund of Charity for some time”.

It is also recorded in the “Mariners List” of 1776 that there were as many as 23 widows at that time and Medena Lodge of Freemasons was making a gift of £13 to each of them, as most were widows of Lodge members.  No wonder that the Lodge could not afford to contribute to the Grand Lodge Charity Fund.  With just over 30 members at that time it meant that each member must have been contributing about £10 each just to the widows.  In those days that amount of money would have been a year’s salary to the poorer classes.  This five year period was unfortunate as Grand Lodge saw fit to erase it, although it was working continuously until the revival of the Medina Lodge being promoted and inaugurated by one of the most hardworking and influential masons of all times, Thomas Dunckerley.  He was the natural son of George the Second and, recognising the relationship, George the Third granted him a pension and an apartment at Hampton Court.  He became Provincial Grand Master of eight provinces of which Hampshire was one and the Isle of Wight another.  On 29th October 1779, Dunckerley as Provincial Grand Master presided over the first meeting of the resuscitated Lodge and Lancelot Foquett was elected as Right Worshipful Master.  The brethren, that evening, also resolved that Grand Lodge should restore the Lodge to its former number of 39 as it had been in 1770.  By granting the same number, Grand Lodge, of course, recognised the earlier existence of the Lodge.

William Holloway was appointed Junior Warden in 1779 at the resuscitation of the Lodge and later in 1787 became the Provincial Junior Warden and in 1792 the Worshipful Master.  Hugh Sime of Medina, wrote to Dunckerley stating that if the post was offered, William Holloway would accept the post as his Deputy for the Isle of Wight.  This post, Holloway held for the next 21 years.  In 1802 an inventory lists the following gifts Holloway made to Medena Lodge:-

  • 4 Candlesticks and case to contain them;
  • a Lewis Pullies and Triangle with a mahogany stand. (Note:- The Oxford Dictionary quotes a Lewis ”as a contrivance for lifting heavy stones using 3 poles and a system of pullies”);
  • a cedar square, level and plumb rule and a pair of compasses;
  • a perfect ashlar, a rough ashlar;
  • a twenty four inch gauge, in four parts;
  • two Gavels;
  • one small Hiram;
  • a brass plumb and trowel; and
  • a brass scale and line of chords.

The Lodge possesses two Lewis’s, one on the Master’s pedestal and the other on the Senior Warden’s, which occasionally is knocked off the pedestal when presenting the Candidate to the Worshipful Master.  The one on the Worshipful Master’s pedestal is believed to be the original one presented by William Holloway.  It is also nice to see his case of working tools displayed in the lobby outside of the Temple.  William Holloway put the following note in his own hand on a separate sheet in the Minute book :-  Memorandum.  The Medena Lodge was originally a Lodge held at Queenhithe Coffee House by a Constitution dated February 17th 1732, but when or how removed to Cowes I cannot learn, the Constitution being lost or mislaid or perhaps is in the possession of some person (not a mason) who chuses to keep it.  As a Lodge of England never issue a second Constitution of the same number, I would advise that a copy of the old Constitution be solicited from the Grand Secretary who I should suppose would not refuse it.  Cowes. April 15th 1801, signed William Holloway.

Lancelot Foquett, Master in 1779 was a Customs Officer with the position of Tidesman and that according to the Whippingham Rate Book, he lived in that Parish.  An extract of his Last Will and Testament, which appoints his Executors as William Holloway and John Siers, states:-  “As a mark of my great regard to Masons and Freemasonry, my two silver plated candlesticks to Medena Lodge to be an accompaniment to the Bible I heretofore gave to the said Lodge.  As also a silver mounted dagger for the said Lodge with my name engraved thereon.  All my Masonic apparatus and everything relating to Masonry I give to my good friend and Trustee William Holloway immediately after my death, as also my close bodied coat and three waistcoats, and for his son Stephen Holloway my new silver watch and for his wife my silver buckles as I promised her.”

The will is dated 25th.April1796.

The inscribed copy of the Bible he presented to the Lodge now only adorns the Worshipful Masters Pedestal for the Installation Meeting.

Lancelot Foquett died in April 1797.

We can find no trace of the silver plated candlesticks or the inscribed dagger.  This is due to the fact that in 1849 the Lodge was in such a desperate plight that it was proposed to sell the furniture and jewels but the presentation Bible was retained.  Everything else appears to have been sold to keep the Lodge going because we find that later in the 1860’s, items were gradually replaced, Bro. Dawson presenting the Tracing Boards and Bro. Osborne presenting three especially made candlesticks which now adorn the Master and Wardens pedestals consisting of three, five and seven steps whose meaning are explained during the ceremonies.  A subscription was raised to purchase a Banner at this time with the number 41 on it which is to the right of the Worshipful Master’s chair.  The one on the left bearing the number 35 was presented by Asher Barfield in 1882.

George Maynard:-  Of the masons active in the 1760’s and also in the lodge revival of 1779.  George Maynard was an intriguing figure.  He was the landlord of the Vine Tavern where the Lodge first met at Cowes in 1761 and continued to meet there until after the revival in 1779.  His mother Lodge was also the Three Tunns at Portsmouth and he again was a member at the revival in 1779, but his attendance ceased in December 1780 and the following year he wrote from Winchester goal where he was in prison, probably for debt, begging the Lodge to petition for his relief.  It was agreed to send him one guinea “out of the small fund of our Lodge”.  He was in lodge again in 1784 as a visitor and was invited to occupy the Senior Warden’s chair, so we must presume his reputation was untarnished.

Sir Thomas Dunckerley:-  This is a name that crops up a lot in the early days of Medina lodge particularly as he was instrumental in organising the reconstitution of the Lodge in 1779.  In 1754 he was initiated into the Three Tunns Lodge at Portsmouth, meeting at the King’s Head, and from then on appears to have devoted his life to Masonry.

He was a Gunnery Officer in the Royal Navy and served on the warship “Vanguard” with Wolfe in Canada.  Whilst there he Installed the first Provincial Grand Master for Quebec and subsequently founded a lodge on board “Vanguard”.

Returning from the trip he found his mother had died, leaving him a message with Mrs. Pinkney a close neighbour.  This informed him that he was the illegitimate son of King George the Second, who by this time had died, being succeeded by King George the Third who, after due investigation, acknowledged him and gave him a pension from the Privy Purse and a grace and favour apartment at Hampton Court Palace.  This message with quite graphic descriptions can be found in our library on page 96 of Volume 6 of the Freemasons Magazine published in 1796.

This gave Dunckerley time to apply himself full time to the furtherance of Freemasonry and Grand Lodge gave him the job of reconstituting Medena Lodge.  The Lodge still has the original Dispensation written in his own hand.  This authorises Lancelot Foquett, Robert Dixon, James Davis and George Maynard to hold a Lodge in Cowes and to make Masons.  James Davis and George Maynard both having made the transition from the Three Tunns Lodge at Portsmouth and the earlier Medena Lodge acknowledged as being in Cowes from 1761.  On 29th October 1779 Dunckerly, as Provincial Grand Master, installed Lancelot Foquett as Master, who marked the occasion by presenting the inscribed Bible.  Dunckerly stayed in Cowes for three weeks presiding over five meetings, during which fifteen ceremonies were performed.

Isham Chapman:-  He was initiated into Medena Lodge in 1790 by his friend Sir Thomas Dunckerly, who came down from Hampton Court especially to do so.  He was the only exception recorded in the Lodge, not to be charged an initiation fee on his being made, passed and raised by Sir Thomas Dunckerly the Provincial Grand Master.  Isham Chapman was destined for greater things, being appointed Junior Warden before he was raised and Provincial Grand Warden two years later, before he attained the Master’s Chair.

He has memorial plaque in Whippingham church.

Richard Pinhorn:-  The Medena Lodge owed a great debt to Richard Pinhorn in keeping the Lodge going in its darkest years.  He lived, with his wife Mary, in Cowes where he was a coal merchant working from the Day and Gregory wharf.  He was also a Water Bailiff for Newport Corporation and a Quartermaster of the Isle of Wight Volunteers during the Napoleonic wars.  In 1809, when depressions really were that, Grand Lodge suspended all dues, as did most other Lodges in the Country.  Every able bodied man went to war and this left only two subscribing members, William Holloway and Richard Pinhorn.  We owe our existence to these two members who kept the Lodge operating and paid all the expenses.  Foreign seafarers were made in the Lodge at that time and one, Arnoldus Van den Bergh was admitted at a reduced rate to act as an interpreter.  Pinhorn was repaid in 1811 and Holloway in 1814.

Pinhorn’s daughter married Restell Ratsey, son of Christopher Ratsey, and they inherited the business which is how the Ratsey’s became coal merchants before going into the sail making business.  Christopher Ratsey was initiated into the Lodge in February 1781.

The Earl of Yarborough:-  In 1825 Richard Pinhorn proposed as a candidate for initiation the Right Honourable The Earl of Yarborough.  This proposal was unanimously seconded.  The Lodge adjourned to Appuldurcombe House (the candidates residence) for his initiation in April 1825 and again in June of that year for his raising, on both occasions entertaining the Lodge right royally.  The following year he was appointed Junior Warden of the Lodge, Bro. Restell Ratsey the occupant of that chair, readily making way for him.  Later the same year The Earl of Yarborough was appointed Provincial Grand Master of the Isle of Wight.  The Island brethren attended on him when he went in procession to church to celebrate his appointment, returning afterwards to dine at the Vine Inn in the greatest harmony and conviviality.

His personal life is also worth noting.  He was born in 1781 as the Hon. Charles Pelham and was founder member of The Yacht Club, London in 1815.  His yacht “Falcon” was built in John Jely’s old boatyard at East Cowes.  This was the yard bought by John Samuel White when he moved to Cowes and eventually became known as the Old Submarine Shed.  After the launch of his yacht the yard was renamed the Falcon Yard in his honour.  He had one more yacht built also named “Falcon” and then two more named “Kestrel”.  He presented the first Royal Yacht Squadron Cup in 1826, having been elected Commodore in 1825.  He finally died on board the second “Kestrel” in Vigo, Spain in 1846.  The Royal Yacht Squadron had the Yarborough monument on Culver Cliff, Sandown, erected in his memory.  He was succeeded as Provincial Grand Master of the Isle of Wight, by his son, the second Earl of Yarborough who was also a member of Medina Lodge.

The ill fated Masonic Hall in Union Road:-  The Lodge and members paid a high price for having admitted and given preferment to Frederick Wyatt, a builder.  He was initiated in 1840 and suffered from intemperate language and unmasonic behaviour, but was appointed Junior Warden two years later in 1842 and Senior Warden one year later and attained the chair in 1845.  He immediately called a special meeting at which he descanted at some length on the benefits likely to follow the building of a new Lodge.  The Lodge supported the proposal, trustees were appointed and a professional architect was engaged to make proper drawings of Wyatt’s proposal and to estimate the cost.  The plans were approved the following year and Wyatt accepted responsibility for collecting subscriptions towards the cost, raising a mortgage and under taking himself to supply whatever further capital was necessary.  Three months later the Brethren unanimously passed a vote of censure on him for disturbing the harmony of the Lodge when the Worshipful Master asked another Past Master to assist him with an initiation when Wyatt claimed that right as his own.  The Provincial Deputy Grand Master attended to investigate and to act in a conciliatory manner, but Wyatt would not back down.  The building was completed and dedicated.  The following month the building sub-committee sent Wyatt’s bills to the architect for checking.  This did not please Wyatt and at the next meeting three brethren complained of his violence and language and of his angry and disloyal remarks at a public house.  In June 1847 an increase in the mortgage was sought, clearly the enterprise had seriously strained the lodge resources but all the builder’s accounts had been settled.  The following year after further complaints about Wyatt’s abusive behaviour he was unanimously excluded on 16th November 1848.  The Lodge was in such a state that in 1849 the Lodge furniture and jewels were sold and then in 1854 the building.  The Lodge moved to the Grapes at a rental of £5 per annum and three years later to 85 High Street, The Midland Bank (HSBC) site.

Asher Barfield:-  The career of Asher Barfield spans the second half of the nineteenth century.  He was in many ways the most notable mason the Lodge has produced.  He was initiated in 1846 but after his raising the following year, is rarely recorded as attending until 1877 when he came as a visitor.  He rejoined the Lodge soon afterwards and was installed in the chair in 1879.  He installed the next two Masters and gave the Lodge its black silk velvet banner.  He was appointed Grand Treasurer in 1888 and that year presented the Lodge with an extensive library of Masonic books, many of which are still on show in the committee room.  The Royal Arch Chapter named after him was constituted in 1895 and at its first meeting he was elected as treasurer.  He was by this time advanced in years and he lived in London.  He celebrated his Masonic Jubilee in 1896, when the Lodge presented him with a handsome illuminated address, listing his many gifts to it and recording his outstanding contributions to the Charities.

Henry Haven Wheeler:-  In a career of over 50 years he came to be a most valued, respected and influential member of the Lodge.  He was installed into the chair twice, the first time by Asher Barfield in 1882 and again in 1890, by the Rt. Hon. Bramston-Beach M.P.  He was a painter and plumber and the Lodge met in a room over his paint shop at 85 High Street, Cowes from 1875 until the old building at 26 Castle Road was purchased from the Ward Estate in 1919.  During the blitz on Cowes in May 1942, his paint shop was destroyed but, when clearing the rubble, two chests of books and papers were discovered which turned out to contain some of our ancient minute books.  The Midland bank now HSBC occupies that site.

Uffa Fox:-  He was installed in the chair in 1944 and to mark the occasion he decided to present the Lodge with a new secretary’s table.  During the Second World War the Direction of Labour Act was brought in and a lot of trained woodworkers were sent to essential industries.  Uffa at this time was designing and building the Airborne Lifeboats which saved many aircrew who ditched in the North Sea.  Frank Butler a talented cabinet maker form Bembridge was one of the woodworkers directed to Uffa’s boatyard.  Late in 1943 he was diverted from the Airborne Lifeboats to another project and with Murray Dixon (who became Master of the Lodge in 1970) as his apprentice constructed a new secretary’s table for the Lodge.  It was a complicated job and definitely a one off, having provision for the three Tracing Boards in the front.  Uffa designed the table and personally selected the Honduras mahogany for its construction.  Frank being the craftsman did most of the work with Murray only allowed to sandpaper.  It was finished off by Jack Feser, one of the painters who had been trained as a French polisher.  It was then loaded onto the top of Uffa’s car and taken to the Lodge where six stewards were waiting to carry it upstairs and put it into place, two days before Uffa was installed in January 1944.  The Lodge never put a nameplate on it to say who presented it as for the duration of the war a special license was required for any furniture built.  Perhaps now, sixty years we might consider putting a nameplate on it for information to future generations.

Director of Ceremonies:-  The second half of the 20th century produced two Director of Ceremonies of outstanding ability.  Bruce Benzie was D.of C. from 1950 to 1975.  His knowledge of Masonic procedure and his retention of the ritual was quite outstanding.  When he relinquished the post he presented his baton to the Lodge and they had it engraved to record the twenty-five years during which he wielded it both faithfully and generously and raised the standard of the ceremonies to a very high level.

Edwin (Eddy) Woodnutt took on the post from Bruce Benzie in 1975 and maintained the high standard of ritual for a further fifteen years until 1990.

Subsequent Directors of Ceremonies have generally responded to the suggestion from Grand Lodge that Brethren should not hold the major posts for longer than a period of five years.  Nevertheless the standard of our ceremonies is still of that high standard demanded by those two Brethren.

The Old Building to the New:-  The new building was completed in the year 2000 and the transfer from the old building was made during the closed period of that year. Many brethren of the Lodge put in tremendous effort throughout that year to reach the opening of the Lodge for the September Dedication Meeting.  It is not possible to mention everyone’s input, but mention should be made to the hard work put in by the Building sub-committee and in particular to three members of that committee.

1)  W. Bro. Ian Carnegie who chaired the committee and was the main contact between the developers and the builders.  He talked, harangued and persuaded them on all facets during the construction and managed to get items completed that were not strictly in the contract.  The amount of hours he spent at the Lodge site and on the telephone were phenomenal.

2)  The late W. Bro. George Squibb probably would have taken his bed down to the old building and transferred to the new one if he had been asked.  He was on site at some times probably six days of every week during the transfer.  He made friends with the builders as such they almost felt they were working for him.  We shall ever remember him for his tireless work for the Lodge during his years as a member.

3)  W. Bro. Fred Sly probably should be known as fundraiser extraordinaire.  His tireless work in raising funds for the Lodge and in particular his brilliant idea of getting brethren and their families to donate chairs was an unbelievable success and can be seen by the two lists in the dining room listing the donors.  He also worked tirelessly on the sub-committee and in helping the transfer from one building to the other.

So here we are today brethren, dedicating a new Banner to replace the one presented by Asher Barfield over one hundred years ago, which is now very fragile and has been placed in its glass case to preserve it for futures generations.  This new Banner, crafted by Mrs. Bridget Preston the wife of our D. of C., we now proudly show and may it survive for another hundred years and more.

The brethren of the Lodge in 2004 look back with gratitude to those past members to whom they owe their inheritance, not forgetting of course the many brethren, who never sought office but proved to be loyal dependable masons, attending with regularity, supporting their officers and giving generously to charity.  The health and stability of any organisation depends as much on such qualities in its rank and file as on the achievements of the few of outstanding ability or personality.  We hope that our successors in the years to come will feel that they have been handed on the torch with its flame undiminished.


List of Past Masters of Medina Lodge


1732   Lodge Constituted

1734   Lodge Discontinued

1736   Lodge Revived

1737   C.W. Phillips

1738   E. Balgay

1739   H. Cock

1740   J. Allen

1741   W. Goudge

1741   S. Rogers

1741   W. Clarke

1742   W. Fearnley

1742   J. Carter

1743   P. Huddy

1744   A. Walls

1745   W. Clarke

1746   Edwards

1747   W. Clarke

1748   E. Ostand

1749   Edwards

1749   J. Cox

1750   W. Goudge

1751   J. Allen

1751   R. Harding

1752   Edwards

1752   W. Wright

1753   S. Younge

1753   Wooller

1754   J.P. Ansell

1754   Bowles

1755   Bowles

1756   Bowles

1767   J. Day

1768   J. Day

1769   J. Day

1770   J. Day

1771   J. Day

1779   L. Foquett

1780   L. Foquett

1781   L. Foquett

1782   L. Foquett

1783   L. Foquett

1784   L. Foquett

1785   L. Foquett

1786   L. Foquett

1787   L. Foquett

1788   W. Holloway

1789   C. Ratsey

1790   H. Sime

1791   H. Sime

1792   R. Fabian

1793   R. Fabian

1794   I. Chapman

1795   I. Chapman

1796   I. Chapman

1797   I. Chapman

1798   I. Chapman

1799   H. Sime

1800   W. Holloway

1801   T. Coombes

1802   G. Phillips

1803   G. Phillips

1804   G. Phillips

1805   G. Phillips

1806   R. Pinhorn

1807   R. Pinhorn

1808   R. Pinhorn

1809   R. Pinhorn

1810   R. Pinhorn

1811   R. Pinhorn

1812   R. Pinhorn

1813   R. Pinhorn

1814   T. Thorald

1815   T. Thorald

1816   T. Thorald

1817   T. Thorald

1818   W. Smith

1819   W. Smith

1820   T. Thorald

1821   T. Thorald

1822   T. Thorald

1823   T. Thorald

1824   T. Osborn

1825   T. Osborn

1826   R. Kendall

1827   C. Miller

1828   R. Ratsey

1829   R. Ayrton

1830   W. Wheeler

1831   C. Miller

1832   C.A. Pinhorn

1833   H. Day

1834   T. Cushen

1835   T. Cushen

1836   T. Osborn

1837   J.G. Cottell

1838   J. Luter

1839   J. Luter

1840   P. Christiansen

1841   P. Christiansen

1842   J. Luter

1843   J.G. Cottell

1844   R.C. Shedden

1845   F. Wyatt

1846   R. Cassup

1847   T. Osborn (Jnr)

1848   W.C. Hoffmeister

1849   W.C. Hoffmeister

1850   T. Osborn (Snr)

1851   C. Cowdery

1852   T. Harling

1853   W. Hoffmeister

1854   T. Hollis

1855   J. Devereux

1856   J. Dawson

1857   J. Devereux

1858   J. Dawson

1859   W. Vaughan

1860   T. Faulkner

1861   C. Deacon

1862   G. Corke

1863   G. Corke

1864   S. Way

1865   S. Way

1866   C. Airs

1867   G. Sutton

1868   T. Giles

1869   C. Sarl

1870   J. Smith

1871   O. Haxthawsen

1872   T. Giles

1873   J. Wheeler

1874   J. Wheeler

1875   T. Faulkner

1876   T. Faulkner

1877   E. Wyatt

1878   E. Wyatt

1879   A. Barfield

1880   A. Pesiton

1881   G. Mursell

1882   H. Wheeler

1883   C. Airs

1884   G. Pickering

1885   R. Robinson

1886   H. Manners

1887   H. Damant

1888   F. Rutland

1889   J. Leftwich

1890   H. Wheeler

1891   G. Mursell

1892   T. Taylor

1893   T. Taylor

1894   G. Cottell

1895   G. Fellows

1896   C. Brown

1897   A. Matthews

1898   A. Matthews

1899   C. Richardson

1900   T. Richardson

1901   G. Ball

1902   A. Shepard

1903   Sir G. Baring

1904   Sir G. Baring

1905   H. Stallard

1906   W. Thompson

1907   A. Shepard

1908   A. Learmouth

1909   J.W. Dewis

1910   Rev. A. McElwee

1911   G. Fellows

1912   C. Brown

1913   J. Summers

1914   J. Warsap

1915   H. Tuffin

1916   G. Hillyer

1917   J. Webster

1918   J. Iliffe

1919   J. Stephen

1920   F.W. Wadmore

1921   A. Hart

1922   A.G. Brown

1923   T. Cleary

1924   F. White

1925   F. White

1926   T. Hale

1927   G. Scadding

1928   L. Corke

1929   H.S. Benzie

1930   F.O. Mason

1931   A.J. Pocock

1932   B.A.S. Benzie

1933   L.A. Jackson

1934   A.G.W. Holmes

1935   F.A. Warne

1936   B. Groves

1937   H. Jollife

1938   R.M.N. Burke

1939   A.O. Purdy

1940   G.W. Hughes

1941   E. Pearson

1942   C.D. Purdy

1943   A. Woodyear

1944   Uffa Fox

1945   R. White

1946   R. Compton

1947   H.E. Day

1948   A. Willsteed

1949   R.S. Curry

1950   H. Barlow

1951   H.C. Wingham

1952   J.W. Webster

1953   G.R. Burke

1954   C.A. Forrest

1955   R.G. Warne

1956   N. Williams

1957   J. Hillier

1958   J. Seymour

1959   J.W. Southall

1960   E.J. Powell

1961   G.W. Withers

1962   J.B. Goodson

1963   H.T. Stafford

1964   J.N.D. Phelps

1965   R.H. Saunders

1966   W.F. Smith

1967   F.D.R. Blackton

1968   F. St John-Taylor

1969   M. Dixon

1970   E.G. Woodnutt

1971   H.C. Bradshaw

1972   L. Rann

1973   W.J. Ray

1974   J.A. Price

1975   A.H. Wingham

1976   A. Dixon

1977   D.R. Ryder

1978   D. Newnham

1979   T.M.P. Tarrant

1980   G.H. King

1981   T.A. Boyland

1982   G.S. Beattie

1983   R. Huntley

1984   T.E.G. Edney

1985   M.A. Cass

1986   M.A. Cass

1987   F.J.A. Sly

1988   E.J.O. Elford

1989   R.G. Eldridge

1990   E.G. Squibb

1991   A. McIntyre

1992   I.A. Carnegie

1993   E.J. Hamar

1994   P. Woods

1995   G.R. Bishop

1996   R.A. Ryall

1997   D.W. Preston

1998   E.G. Squibb

1999   M.P. Edgerton

2000   M.D. Gregson

2001   E.G. Ray

2002   J. Greaves

2003   F.J.A. Sly

2004   A. Barry

2005   J. Murton

2006   P.R.R. Purdy

2007   C. Dimmick

2008   M.R. Nicholson

2009   P.M. Tyson

2010   I.A. Carnegie

2011   P. Woodburn

2012   D.M. Church

2013   J. Herbert




Meeting Location


Lodge No 111 Constituted the 17th February 1732 at the Theatre Tavern, Goodmans Fields, London.


Golden Fleece 1739

Bowling Green 1741

Angel and Crown, Whitechaple 1741

City of Norwich, Wentworth Street, Spitalfields 1751

Queenhithe Coffee House 1759

Lapsed about 1761

West Cowes, Isle of Wight 1761

Vine Tavern, High Street, Cowes 1768

Erased 23rd April  1773

Reinstated 1779

Vine Tavern, High Street, Cowes  1779

Fountain Inn  1814

Bolton Yacht  1828

Duke of York, Newport Road, Cowes 1836

Town Hall, Market Hill, Cowes 1839

Star Inn, Castle Street, East Cowes 1840

Private Room, West Cowes 1845

Masonic Hall, Union Road, Cowes 1847

Grapes Inn, Sun Hill, Cowes  1854

Masonic Hall 1857

Vine Inn 1830

Masonic Hall, Castle Road, Cowes                               

New Masonic Hall, Castle Road, Cowes  2000



History of Lodge Numbers

Year                             Number

1729                                111

1740                                  99

1755                                  57

1770                                  39

1780                                  33

1781                                  33

1792                                  31

1814                                  48

1832                                  41

1863                                  35



Named in 1779


Centenary Warrant granted with Jewel on 1st October 1862

Bi-centenary Warrant granted on


The Secretary’s Table


During the last war the Direction of Labour Act was brought in and a lot of woodworkers were sent to essential industries.  One of these sent to Uffa Fox's boatyard was a cabinet maker from Bembridge named Frank Butler, and, whilst serving my apprenticeship is a boatbuilder late in 1943, Frank and I were diverted to a special task, which was a new Secretary's Table for the Medina Lodge.  It was quite a complicated job, and definitely a one off, having provision for three Tracing Boards in the front.  Uffa personally selected the timber, which was Honduras mahogany.  Frank Butler was a real craftsman and, looking back, I think I was only allowed to do things like sandpapering!  It was duly finished and one of our painters, who was really a French polisher named Jack Feser, made a superb job of polishing it.


It was loaded onto the top of Uffa's car which, at that time was a Hudson Terraplane, and duly taken to the Lodge.  He said he had laid on some Stewards to unload it.


When Uffa was installed into the Chair in January 1944 it was in position.


He did not want it disfigured with a brass plate and he certainly did not have a Timber Licence for making furniture!



 End of Article